Trail Boss: Greg Youree
Well folks, it's back by popular demand, Mojave Road 2017. The dates will be Thursday November 30th through Sunday December 3rd. We will caravan down Thursday morning, meeting at 7:30am at the Safeway 840 E Dunne Ave, Morgan Hill, CA 95037. Optionally you can meet us at 4:30pm at Maverik’s Adventure First Stop 4495 Arizona 95, Fort Mohave, AZ 86426 if you are not traveling as part of the caravan.
All of the details of the route are in the attached PDF file. Let me know if you cannot open it. I can also send KMZ waypoints for the route, but they should be linked from the PDF so you can get them that way too.
We will be camping on the trail three nights. You will need to bring food and water for three days (at least 1 gallon per person per day), and also bring an extra 5 gallons of fuel. The trail is roughly 150 miles long. This year there may be a road closure that requires a detour after Fort Piute on the first full day on the trail. Required equipment includes:
* HAM or FRS radio
* 5 gallons of extra fuel
* Portable toilet or "wag" bags (there are no toilets the first two nights, the third night there is a pit toilet at Afton Canyon Campground)
* Full size spare tire
* Ability to air down and air up
* Tires with strong side walls, street tires are a no go
* Tow points front and rear
* All the usual requirements for ED4 trips, including fire extinguisher, first aid kit, etc...
* Would be great if each vehicle can bring one or two bundles of firewood
The Mojave Road is not a technical trail, the most challenging parts are loose sand and a water crossing that can be 2-3 feet deep. We will go over the technique for the water crossing when we get to that section. A good stock 4x4 vehicle should be sufficient for this trail. However, the desert is full of sharp little rocks that like to puncture tires, so you should have off-road tires with strong side walls and a full size spare tire.